Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Voices


I have been getting just a little bit of work done each day. On Monday I finished up some smaller pieces and though I rarely do this (maybe I should, but that's a rant for another day) I reworked a painting that I had felt was finished, had already photographed and even posted awhile ago. It was sitting on the shelf just bugging me. You know, calling out, shouting at me and insisting that it still needed a few things. So I worked on it a bit and am glad I did. Especially since the voices have now quieted down. Heh.

Finished version of Tilting, 2007, Oil on Panel, 8x10

9 comments:

Tracy Helgeson said...

Feel free to tell me that you like the first one better. After seeing them side by side I personally think they are both fine, they just each had their own "thing".

James Wolanin said...

Tracy - I think the "reworked" version is better. The blue tree line or mountains adds depth. And did you add some dark color to the doorway? It helps with the contrast. I'm a big fan of high contrast.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Jim, that is almost exactly what Doug said about the changes. I did darken the doorway. That was the thing that was yelling at me the loudest!

Anonymous said...

......uh oh,chicken killer,hearing voices. I think I better make some phone calls....if it isn't too late.

gary rith said...

a little brighter, somehow

Anonymous said...

The reworked version is certainly more optimistic... which is a good sign from a chicken killer!

Elizabeth Love (née Acheson) said...

Hi Tracy. I'm with James here. The blue adds the startle factor, zing...on my screen anyway!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Don't worry, Mom, the voices are gone now:)

And thanks, Gary, James, and Elizabeth for your positive comments on the second one. Good move since it IS the finished piece and there is no going back!

Stacey Peterson said...

I like the reworked version too - more contrast makes more of a statement with that composition. Sometimes it's good to have some time to evaluate after you think you've finished a painting - you can see more clearly what can be done to iprove it (although, I thought the first version looked great too!).