Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Brad Teare

Brad Teare, Oil on Canvas, 2001, 11x14

Brad Teare, Oil on Canvas, 2001, 8x10

Doug and I moved to Utah in 1993. He had a share in a holographic company in Logan, which he had been working with on a consulting basis. We decided to move to Utah in order for him to put all of his energy into getting the company off the ground (it worked, as it was eventually bought by duPont). I was none too pleased about moving out there however, and it sure took awhile for us to adjust. But we started having babies, meeting other parents and we also became involved in the community. When I started to do volunteer work for a non-profit arts organization, I met all kinds of artists, performers and dancers. They were my people! While I was on the board of directors I worked with an artist, Brad Teare. He did these wonderful woodcuts which Doug and I both really admired. The first piece of art that Doug ever gave me was one of Brad's black ink woodcuts (pictured below). That purchase was the beginning of our art collection and gave us both the itch to buy more art. Brad also worked as an illustrator and a few years later wrote, illustrated and published a book that we are happy to have a signed copy of. And a few years after that, Brad told me that he had been working on plein aire paintings. I was definitely intrigued and I visited his home to see what he had been doing. We sat on the floor of his living room and he leaned about 10 or 12 pieces up against the sofa. It was very casual! When I saw them, I knew right away that I needed one and since I couldn't decide on just one, I went home with two.

I love these paintings. They have a van Gogh-ish feel, with thick, juicy brush strokes and I love the sparkly bits of color that come together to create a tree, a field, a road. Looking at Brad's paintings, I am reminded of the value of unexpected color, something I often forget about with my tendency towards color fields.

Anyway, we moved from Utah to NY in 2003. A few weeks ago, I received an invitation from Brad to an opening in NYC, where his work would be featured. And as is the way of this small art world, the event just so happens to be the same one that Stacey is in as well. And coincidentally, I had planned to be in the city the weekend of the opening, so I was pretty excited to go and visit with Brad AND meet a fellow blogger. Alas, I have had to cancel my trip down there, but Doug is in the city doing a trade show and he is under strict orders to go to the opening, see Brad and his wife and also to track down Stacey and say hi.

PS. I am only feeling a little sorry for myself, here at home in the snow with the kids and the chickens, with frozen pizza for dinner while everyone else is living it up in New York, looking at art, going to gallery openings and eating sushi. Heh.

Fish Totem, by Brad Teare

10 comments:

James Wolanin said...

I really like the woodcuts!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Hi Jim, Aren't they great? I really like the ones on his website too.

Chris Rywalt said...

The woodcut looks so good, I'm tempted to say it's a shame he moved on to landscapes.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Chris, he did a ton of the black and white woodcuts. I think it was good for him to do the landscapes, and now on his website I see that he integrated the two and now does color woodcut landscapes. Which I think are pretty nice and which are included in the show in NYC. If you ever come visit, I'll show you the book he did, you'd really like that.

Anonymous said...

Great woodcut!
And I agree about the Van Gogh likeness. Clever man (Brad that is... and Vincent too of course)

Stacey Peterson said...

I'm a huge fan of Brad's work - especially his woodcuts. His recent color woodcuts are amazing. I can't even begin to grasp how much patience a person must have to plan out all of the stages of a colored woodcut, or even how long they must take to make!

Did Doug make it to the opening? I was bummed that you couldn't make it - it would have been so fun to meet you!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Stacey, Doug did come but it was so crowded and he couldn't find you, based on my vague description (blond and maybe with a baby, but maybe not).

I wish I could have been there, but I will meet you next time you show in NYC!

Brad Teare said...

Tracy,

Sorry you couldn't make it to New York. It was great to see Doug, though. The show was overwhelming. I remember talking with Doug about his gallery in Soho, then someone distracted me and I turned around and Doug was gone! That happened a lot that night. I had a lot of half conversations. For some reason I was having trouble concentrating (it happens a lot, actually). I didn't get to talk with many of the artists from Trinchera (like Stacey). I need to learn to focus.

We had such a great time though we are sure we will be back to New York more often. I hope our paths will cross soon.

Your work is fantastic! Keep up the good work.

Tracy Helgeson said...

I'm sorry I didn't make it either Brad! You'll be showing in the city again though:) and we'll get together.

I know what you mean about focusing. I am finding it harder to deal with crowds and general noise these days too. I get all bleary eyed and tired and I can't think or speak properly.

Keep in touch!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I'm Brad's Brother Steve. I have to put in a plug for not only www.bradteare.com but also a more vaguely known nook on the web called:

http://www.officialcypherfansite.com

Lots of good trivia about Brad if you are a fan of his woodcuts and earlier works. Many of his Cypher concepts were hatched in New York.

It's great to see Brad has a growing list of friends and fans who love his artwork and illustrations. It was great to visit your blog.

Steve Teare