Sunday, August 12, 2007

Happy Anniversary, Doug!

Across The Field, 2007, Oil on Panel, 8x10

As is typical, Doug and I forgot about our anniversary until just a few days ago while we were in New Mexico (more about that trip Monday). Last year I wrote about our silliness concerning our anniversary so I won't go into it again.

However I would like to point out that even though this date wasn't our first choice (you'll see why if you read last year's post) it does seem to have some very interesting karma attached to it.

My great Aunt Bertha and her husband, Uncle Walter, share the same anniversary. Of course I did not know this when we went to get married. How many people know the wedding date of their seemingly ancient relatives? I don't even know how long they were married but I am guessing at least 60 years, until sadly, Uncle Walter died a few years ago.

And Doug's parents also share the same wedding anniversary. They got married when his father got out of the military after WWII and were happily married until his mom died in the early 70's. We also didn't know the date of their marriage until Doug was going through an old box of papers a few years ago.

So I guess, that despite the fact that DOUG IS OUT OF TOWN TODAY ON BUSINESS we should stay married. Gotta keep up with the good karma!

4 comments:

Ed Terpening said...

Beautiful work, Tracy. I'd kill Mike if he forgot my anniversary! Somehow, it hasn't happened yet.

Hope you work makes it to San Francisco, would love to see it in person.

Steven LaRose said...

Hey, I just popped over from Miz Klien's blog. Anniversary's everywhere! Stacy and I remembered our first one. . . it is too close to Christmas and just after Thanksgiving. Anyway, Happy Anniversary. Its good to have you back. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I suppose I'm going to have to become more confident in talking about mortality and grief as we all get there. I've been thinking about you.

tlwest said...

Its all Good:) Birthdays and anniversaries- ways to be thankful and remember the people that love us :) Happy Anniversary!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Hi Ed, well how long has it been for you two? That seems to have something to do with our memories these days:)

I would love to show in San Francisco too!

Hi Steven, thanks so much for the kind words and I am glad to be back too. Funny thing I have learned about grief. It can be so easy to speak matter of fact about death and making plans, but on another day the same conversation can rip your heart out.

You are so right, Terry, thanks.