Sunday, December 17, 2006

Panels, iPods and More Poop



Deep Dark Field, 2006, Oil on Panel, 18x24













Hmmm. Ok, well I didn't get around to posting an image of the magnesium green chicken poop inspired painting this weekend. Sorry. Hope I don't get fired for that. heh. I am including an image of the offending matter below, if you are interested in looking at some virtual person's chicken's poop.

I actually felt that the painting needed a bit more work so I did that on Saturday and then it was a terrible dark dreary day with no good light on Sunday. Plus I was very busy priming the backs of some larger panels that I plan to start this coming week while simultaneously updating my new iPod. Having babies greatly improved my multi-tasking skills. Anyway, I went through all of my CD's and downloaded the songs that I wanted and now I have almost 1200 songs on it! I am very excited to start listening today. I have a great combination of all of my older favorite songs as well as some new music that I recently purchased.

When Doug came back from the city last week he brought some panels sized 36x36 as well as a few other similar sizes from Soho Artist Materials. I am just loving those birch panels even though they require much more preparation than the ones I usually use. I will gradually switch over to using those panels exclusively, I think. They have more of a solidness and quality about them than the Ampersand cradled panels. It will be hard to give up the painting surface of the Ampersand Gessoed panels though. They are the perfect surface for me and I suspect I will grieve a bit while I try to get the same thing going on the birch.

I will look at the bright side though. A slightly different surface could have a positive effect on my work and there's no drawback to using a higher quality support.

PS. I have a number of paintings that I needed to get photographed. Since my best spot is currently occupied by our Christmas tree, this morning I tried about 14 other locations throughout the house as well as outdoors. None of them worked very well and so finally, completely annoyed, I moved the tree, decorations and all, across the room, (thank you, smooth wood floors), took the shots and slid it back. Felt like an idiot but it worked. I suspect I may have to do this at least one more time before we take the tree down. On December 26, if I have my way.

6 comments:

Lisa Call said...

Thank you - I can now get on with my life. I've been sitting here hitting refresh all morning waiting for that picture :)

Cool color!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Glad that the poop topic has kept you so engaged:-)

Anonymous said...

Well that certainly made my day complete!!
Now I can go make cranberry bread.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Lovely, huh? Well it WAS a nice change of pace in the chicken coop:-)

meno said...

Try feeding them some carrots. The end results might be note worthy.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Meno, I was thinking beets! (they don't like carrots very much)