Friday, March 3, 2006

NYC Weekend






City Street at Dusk, 2006, Oil on Panel, 9x12











Well, I managed to have a decent 2 hours or so in my studio on Thursday, and may have salvaged most of the pieces I had been working on. I think I can show them and today I am not feeling like a lousy artist. I have a bit of a welcome distraction from all of that though. Today I am off to join Doug in NYC for the weekend. Our fearless babysitter, Mary Jo and her dog, Pepper Ann, will be staying with the kids while I spent 3 days and 2 nights, unencumbered by all responsibility, in the big city.

Doug's company Green River Stone Company, has a booth each year at the Art Expo at the Javits Center. I probably wouldn't choose to visit the Art Expo, but since he will be there, I'll walk through and take a look at what's going on. More importantly, I plan to visit the Whitney Biennual, unless it's mob scene, then I'll go when we are in the city again at the end of March, and I'm sure I'll stop by a few of my favorite galleries. I like Arcadia, Kathryn Markel, DFN and I also hope to see the Milton Avery show at the DC Moore Gallery. And I am totally looking forward to some good chinese food!

Besides being a partner in Green River Stone, Doug also has a store/showroom in Soho, called Fossil Interior. Green River Stone owns some land in Wyoming and they quarry big slabs of stone that are just full of fossils, mostly fish. They create murals, counter tops, and tiles from the stone and they are just beautiful. Doug has a BFA from Tyler in photography and sculpture. Mostly since then he has been in the holography industry, but a few years ago he decided to go full time with this company that had previously been a side interest. He loves it, it gives him the chance to use his creative skills as well as his ability to sell and promote products. So that's what my husband does. Doug is also so supportive of what I am doing. He goes to all of my openings, helps me photograph my work and helps me with the framing if I am in a rush. He is also my best critic, he tells when a piece isn't working (sometimes I don't see that) and when it is (sometimes I don't see that either).

City Street at Dusk is a street in Soho. I took some photos on the streets last time we were in the city and I enjoy painting this different subject matter. This piece is one of two cityscapes that I will have in a group show at The Main Street Gallery in March.

No comments: