Wednesday, December 10, 2008
More Family Info
Ok so our appointment in Syracuse went great. Even though Doug and I are often plagued with insecurities about insulin units and how many carbs Ginger needs, or doesn't need, etc, etc, and we had a million questions, which our nurse patiently answered, she also said we should keep doing whatever it is we are doing, because Ginger's 3 month average sugar levels were awesome, better than some people who DON'T have diabetes. By the time we left the clinic, Doug and I were incredibly relieved and just a little bit full ourselves for handling these first few months pretty well. Of course there are a lot more months coming but again, not thinking about all that today.
Last night I wrote up a whole long thing about our older son but have decided not to post it because this morning it seems like too much for my little ol' art blog here. But I will put up the short version of this story because well, I am posting every day this month and am already getting desperate for subjects. heh. Anyway, this is it:
K. (who is our nephew) came to live with us when he was 4, he was mentally disabled although we weren't really sure of the extent at the time. We eventually adopted him, and now he is an adult which is a bit surreal! He has been on a waiting list for a state funded community group home for disabled adults for the last few years. He is to be included in a house that is suppose to be ready in March, however, the state's economy hit the fan and now there is a spending freeze in New York state. So we don't know if the project will be funded. Because, you know, the first things to get cut from a budget must be the already minimal assistance to handicapped and other vulnerable children and adults. Yeah.
Like most kids his age, our son is ready to move out, and we are ready for him to move out too! We love him dearly and will always advocate for his needs, however he can be difficult and we need a break! But because we have learned not to depend on the government for help concerning his needs, we are working on a few back up plans now. The group home is our first choice though, so we are crossing our fingers until next week when we will find out if our son's home will be funded.