Tuesday, September 30, 2008

New Venture

Horizon Lines (Seventeen), 2008, Oil on Panel, 5x5

Last summer, I set up a blog to show work that was either in a show or in the inventory of the galleries that represent me, as well as to post a bunch of small pieces that were in a local gallery that doesn't keep up with a website. It was suggested to me more than a few times that I should sell the small pieces myself and while I didn't say I never would, I was too burned out at the time to decide how to go about it. But time passed, stuff happened, galleries closed, sales sputtered and I recently decided to go for it.

A big part of this decision was made because I realized that I still love to do the small format paintings. I began painting again by working small (less pressure) five years ago and I guess that it is still in me. It's also a great non-pressured way to keep painting during this slow stretch that I have going. Um, so I don't go cuckoo again. heh. They aren't usually the pieces that gallery want to exhibit, too small, too low of a profit margin, whatever, yet I think some of them are my most successful paintings even if (or maybe because?) they are so small.

And I won't lie, a bit of income would come in handy right now to at least cover my supplies. Not my main motive here, but there you go. It is an element.

So I revamped the other blog and I have posted the pieces that I did a few months ago, which did not sell at the show. I have many more new ones on hand that I will start putting up each day or so after they are finished and photographed. I am also continuing with the Horizon Lines series and #Seventeen is shown above, which has been posted and is available.

The blog is now called "Tracy Helgeson" which is extremely witty, I know. The link will be on the sidebar of this blog, which gets a pretty good amount of traffic and I am just going to start with that for now. I may send out an email with the link, but I am not a pushy salesgirl and that will probably be about it for marketing. Oh, and I might casually suggest at some point in the next few months that these small pieces make really good gifts, but that's it, I promise....

11 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

you're simply brilliant, T., as well as talented

Anonymous said...

now this is exciting! Bravo, Tracy.

(And I'm saving some cash so I can buy one someday soon...)

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

i see xmas presents in my future...

Tracy Helgeson said...

Gary, I wish I could say that I thought up this great idea on my own, but I think that maybe, oh THOUSANDS of other artists got the idea first! I am brilliant in many other ways however:)

Thanks Kim and Natalya, maybe I should set up wish lists too:)

Actually, I could, if you are interested....

Kari Gibson said...

It looks great and will be a huge success, I am sure. Good luck!

patty a. said...

Thank you so much for setting up a place for us to buy small pieces! I have been reading your blog for a couple of years and oh the pain of only being able to look and not buy. I too will be saving some cash so when I see "The One" I can jump right on it and make it mine!

Melody said...

Congrats......so glad you've decided to do this. Your brilliant!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

Hmmmmm... this is a great idea. Like you said, I've seen other artists do it, but for some reason now it seems like a great idea that maybe I could use too. :)

Can't believe these haven't already sold! Maybe if I put a link on my wishlist, someone will get me one for Christmas.

Kim Hambric said...

Something about seeing all of these little colorful paintings together . . .like a box of assorted chocolates. Mmmmmmm. If only I didn't have to buy shoes right now. I'll keep circling, though.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Kari, well I hope sales will at least pay for the cost of the blog, hahaha

Thanks Patty, I hope you find the right one, it is so nice to find art one connects with.

Thanks Melody!

I know what you mean Angela, I saw others doing it too, didn't occur to me to do it, then I didn't want to, then I decided I should do it. Guess I do know how to change my mind:)

Thanks, Kim, well definitely buy the shoes, I do not advocate art over shoes:) but keep circling.

Making A Mark said...

Nice one Tracy! How about a drip feed?