Monday, May 12, 2008

A Different View

Big Tree, 2008, Oil on Panel, 14x18

Mother's Day passed us by without much of any celebration, which actually makes me very happy. I don't go for all of the mushy stuff, especially when it's gradually turning into a highly commercialized, totally sappy "holiday".

But my kids still fall for the holiday aspect of it and so I play along. My youngest daughter made my bed for me and was really sweet and helpful all day. My other daughter had a hysterical fit (which made the day blissfully normal) and my son apologized to me for egging her on. Double blissful. Doug is out of town with our oldest son and that (heaven help me for saying this) made it a very peaceful day. Love him, but the occasional break is nice too.

Doug was probably the one who was the most disappointed in this year's Mother's Day and the fact that we were apart. He has always been good about planning things and giving some sort of lovely gift. I assured him that I was fine with it being low key and in fact prefer it.

Well ok, I won't complain if he brings me a little bauble back from his trip. Heh.

PS. I guess I'll explain my lack of interest in Mother's Day, and Father's Day for that matter. Pretending things are great and sending off a ridiculously flowery card to a "difficult" parent was always tough for me, some of you may understand that. My mother was the difficult one (and she expected a lot when it came to gifts and sentiments) and my father wasn't involved in my childhood at all.

My kids show their love and respect for me every day (almost:)) and that means so much more to me than getting recognition on Mother's Day ever will.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our local paper had this great article about Mothers Day. It talks about the intentions of the founder, Ann Jarvis, and her disappointment in the commercialization of what started out as a simple acknowledgment.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

ah yes the commercialization of holidays in the American culture... it is sad, i am just grateful for now that my kids are really young and it's still sweet...

Ann said...

I know exactly what you are saying. I've felt the same yet never was brave enough to articulate it. With one young child it is still thankfully a day of sweetness. Glad you had a nice day though. I'm still enjoying your art and writing :)

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying your blog and have begun reading the old posts. Your work is stunning, I envy your new studio space (how's that coming along?), and love to read your posts as your life seems to mirror mine (voracious reader, being a little odd growing up - though aren't all artists?, being a mother and an artist, putting the art aside for a number of years...etc, etc.). Your writing and your painting is beautiful.

In our home, we do homemade cards and either bake something yummy or cook a great meal as a gift. I'm not one for celebrating too commercially also as I like the great day to day stuff.

gary rith said...

wicked good painting here....
I wonder what it is about older siblings getting the young ones to ________, it happens with little kids and cats too

Making A Mark said...

I love this painting!