Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Attic Studio Update

Well Tom and Matt have left us and are on to their next project. They were great to have around the house for the last few weeks and I am giddy about what a great job they did on the attic.

They built a beautiful rail around the stairwell:


They put in four hinged doors like this:

which provide access to the knee wall storage space. AND there are lights inside! I don't think I have to describe how amazing all of that storage will be. I am planning to store things in boxes with wheels-it is a bit low in those storage spaces and being able to roll containers in and out will make things a bit easier I think.

They did a great job of restoring this oval window:

which is just big enough to allow me to see if it's the UPS guy out front. A UPS delivery is always pretty dang exciting around here. Our regular guy has learned way too much about our lives because of how much we chat whenever anyone shows up.

But there is still much to be done up there before I can move in. We have to get the walls and ceiling painted and choose the track lighting fixtures. The heating guy has to come and install the baseboard units, the electric guy has to come and finish up the wiring and the floor guy has to come and sand the floor and stairs.

It'll be at least 2 or 3 weeks before I can begin moving in, maybe more. I am surprisingly not in any hurry, mostly because I am so busy right now and the thought of all the work to get ready to move up there is actually a bit overwhelming. I will probably get really anxious once I am finished with the work for the show in Hudson though.

I'll leave you with is a dark and moody art shot of the space:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great up there tracy. I am sure you will be able to get alot done in such a nice new location. enjoy.
jerome

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

what a great space!

Unknown said...

I wanna buy your house.

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

awesome!

I am getting an attic studio too when we move to our new house in Chicago. I can't wait. I will have north light, and skylights as well. And lots and lots of room. I have a feeling that my paintings are going to get much larger than my normal wee ones. I can't wait!

Melody said...

I'm so happy for you. It looks like a fabulous space. Love that window. What a dream.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Jerome, I am looking forward to it and HOPE I will be able to get some work done up there. Adjusting to a new studio can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Thanks Natalya! It is nice!

Sorry Jayne, not for sale:) But you can come visit.

Bridgette, oh that's cool, I bet you will have fun with more space and I'll be interested to see what you do on a larger scale.

Thanks Melody. I'll take some pictures of the view from the windows soon and post them. It's a great view.