Wednesday, May 6, 2009

This And That



Not much new to report today. I have done three underpaintings, one shown above, which I am quite happy with. I tried mightily NOT to overwork them and although I will have to then adjust how I handle the color later, I think that they will have more energy in the end.

I still seem to have some sort of mental blockage about getting out into the vegetable gardens. Not sure why but I suspect once I do get out there, I will be there forever, trying to catch up!!

Missed the deadline for a regional juried competition on Saturday. I have given up entering most competitions, however I like to support our local arts org, and plus I was planning to enter one of the portraits from the People You Know series, just to see what might happen. But I completely forgot about it that day! Sheesh!

I did go to a gallery opening on Saturday night with Lady Ostapeck (I wrote about her here). She is 92 and lives down the road from us in a crazy ramshackle house that contains more stuff than you can ever possibly imagine. Or at least she did until last fall when she moved into senior housing in a nearby town. She is quite the character and she talked to every. single. person. at the opening whether she knew them or not! She would have closed the place down if I had hadn't been my usual sour self at a crowded opening where I didn't know anyone. Heh. She also had two glasses of champagne, which is exactly two more than I had. Anyway, it was great fun hanging out with Lady Ostapeck (we had dinner too and she insisted on paying for her own pizza slice) and I am glad we went.

7 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

sour self at crowded opening=c'est moi :)

Unknown said...

How wonderful to have such a local hero, someone like this helps bring meaning to our everyday.

Shanster said...

How lovely! And you will. Be in your vegetable garden forever catching up. I'm in the same boat.

Janet said...

Lady Ostapeck looks totally cool.

Janet said...

RE: The Lady Ostapeck entry of Dec. 11 2006: "Since then I have often stopped by to visit her and to take her food." Hmmm. You should not take an old lady's food. And several of you keep an eye on her and her kitchen? There must be nothing left! (inserted satirical comment, FYI)
Once again, Lady Ostapeck seems to be a very admirable person. Lucky for you to know her.

Chris Beck said...

How very cool. I read your older blog post on Lady O and also visited her website. I'm just about to send all this to a longtime friend, also an artist, to say "Look at this remarkable woman. There's no stopping us if we just keep doing our art!" Thanks!!

p said...

wow, look at that photo, those ladies look alive and happy! sounds like a really good time. more fun than planting a vegetable garden :)