Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Girl with Glasses

A Girl with Glasses, 2009, Oil on Gessoed Paper, 12x16

Well, I have made some progress on the portraits I started last week. Oddly, the arms here look funny in the image, while when viewing the painting in person they make more sense. Still can't believe these are so difficult to photograph! In the landscapes if the photo is off, it's mostly just the color that is affected. Somehow though, when a photo of a portrait is off, the whole image looks strange.

My favorite part of this one is the face; there is really so little detail in it, however her expression is pretty clear. That is one of the qualities that I am striving for in this series and it is nice to know that I can do it. Just wish I could do it a bit more consistently, and maybe I will be able to if I do fifty more, a hundred more, a thousand more......

7 comments:

http://artistruth.rutharmitage.com said...

I, too, love how indistinct the features are. Her expression is fabulous... the gesture of her head, the color.... way to go!

Casey Klahn said...

Tracy, your figures/portraits have me as a big fan. The statement there is striking, and I only hope that when I take the jump to figures that I can be as focused as you!

Melody said...

I have always loved your portraits and this piece is just another reason to love them more.

Giselle C. Gautreau said...

Ooh! This portrait is my favorite so far.

Just a thought about the challenge of photographing these... can you scan them instead? It might be easier to control the end result. That is, if these are small enough to put on a scanner.

Sizun said...

Tracy, the portraits you paint have such a one of a kind style, they are filled with mystery, yet they seem familiar... Please paint a thousand more if this is what you feel like dooing !

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

i really really like her! the dorkiness of it all, just lovely!

L.Holm said...

Just found you from Karin Jurick's site. Wonderful work! am a new fan. best regards, liz