Friday, May 29, 2009

About a Bird!



So a few weeks ago I noticed a lot of bird activity in the oval window at the front of my studio. When I checked I saw that a bird nest had been built between the screen and the slats. Within a few days there was a blue egg:


then two the next day:


and then finally five:


A google search told me that this is an Eastern Bluebird nest and that the eggs would hatch in about two weeks.

Since then I have been worrying about the mom when she is out, and also noticed that she would leave the next whenever I walked around the studio. So I hung a cloth over the window because I wanted to make sure she could spend enough time on the eggs. We have all been checking on the eggs everyday and there has been much interest in my updates about this on facebook!!

Yesterday morning, I heard a lot of noise from the window and when I checked there was a floppy, ugly little creature with about 4 fuzzy feathers flopping around on the other eggs! Super exciting event here in the studio!!!


And today there looks like three little birdies in the nest:


It's hard to tell, because all I see is a mass of gray downy beings!

I am very worried now though about the mother, and about all the ways that birds die out there. How will I feed these little babies if she doesn't come back? Should I make a cut in the screen to drop insects in their tiny little mouths and do they need water? I am sure everyone will be fine, but I am crossing my fingers for the mama bird's safety, anyway.

But besides the worry, I am enjoying this fun little studio event. Sometimes, it's the simple things......

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool is that!!! This is better than the Animal Planet!

M.A.H. said...

That really is quite lovely. I have a teeny tiny bird that visits my window to the world every morning as I drink coffee. It makes me smile.

Shanster said...

That is so cool! Lucky you! And I had to laugh about the odd sunburn patterns you have from gardening...

My weeds are so out of control I think it will take FOREVER to tackle them... sigh.

I love the hat thingy on your persons you know picture too!

Deborah Paris said...

Very cool! We had a nest in the shop this year- the mother flew back and forth over the table saw to feed them which made us insanely worried but all ended well. Steve would leave the garage type door open at the bottom and she would go in and out that way when he wasn't in the shop.One morning 4 little ones were flying around the shop. They stayed around for a couple of days up in the rafters and mom was still bringing insects. Then they all moved out to the trees outside the shop.Enjoy!

meno said...

This is so exciting. If i were there i would be glued to that window.

Patrice said...

What a wonderful bluebird story - and the illustrating photos really make it.

I have Chimney Sweeps in my studio - and bats in the studio attic (tiny ones)... and this year the Mockingbirds made a nest in the satellite dish...

It's an avian spring!

Sherri Woodard Coffey said...

Lucky you! I'm glad the rest of us can enjoy along with you.

Melody said...

You said it...."it's all about the simple things" that is surely what life is made of.

Christine said...

Thanks for the posst