Sunday, February 3, 2008

First Day

My Studio.

First I have to say that as soon as I arrived here I had the most intense deja vu ever. I was pretty sure that I was back at ny first days of college. Um, but older and with bifocals this time. Thankfully it has subsided now but I have to say it was pretty freaky!

Ok. The drive went very smoothly (I heart mapquest) and although my car was acting suspiciously, the back end was significantly lower than the front end and I was convinced that it would collapse onto the back wheels, I made it here without incident.

When I got here a girl named Arista showed me where my room is, and then my studio, which is beautiful and big and freshly painted. I unloaded my things and then met up with Arista and about a dozen other residents and she took us on a tour. I think we all felt a bit awkward and no one talked to each other much, we were all just trying to get our bearings I suppose. However. this is where the deja vu kicked in-I was pretty sure that I had known some of the younger women from my college days, they seemed so familiar (the hair, the clothing, even the patchouli) but of course they were just babies then. Sigh. Anyway, it felt funny to be on the other side this time around, when really I still feel like one of them. Not sure if that makes sense.

I settled into my room and then went to the reception at the dining hall, where I stood around feeling like an idiot. I have gotten so used to people wanting to meet me at my openings and initiating the conversation, that I have seemingly lost my ability to just go up to someone I don't know and start talking. Actually I have never been all that great at that, but it was much easier when I a. drank alcohol, which I don't do anymore, and b. when I used to socialize more, which I also don't do anymore. Well except when it revolves around me. Heh.

At dinner I had the pleasure of sitting next to David Grozinsky. I was told by two people Steven LaRose and Tom Butter, a former teacher of mine at art school and who is frequently a visiting artist here) to find him, he works here, and I did find him at the salad bar. I had no trouble calling out to him that I know people that he knows (guess I just need a mission) and he was especially tickled to find out that I (sort of) know Steven. He invited me to sit next to him at dinner and we chatted a bit. Then I spoke to some of the other people at the table and everyone was very nice, of course. I look forward to getting to know everyone, there is such an interesting variety of residents here!

After dinner I puttered around in my studio and unpacked a few things and now I am off to bed. Tomorrow morning there is a meeting for the painters and I am totally excited about the figure drawing session in the afternoon!

So there you have it. A really big day in Tracyland. I will post in a few days, hopefully with some updates on new works.

9 comments:

Melody said...

Wow Tracy your studio looks great. There is omething about a brand new space that is so inspiring. Can't wait to hear about your figure drawing sessions.
Have fun...

Kesha Bruce said...

Tracy--- I cannot express how excited I am for you. Have fun!

Andrea and Kim said...

It is so exciting! Do have fun with the process and the place. I know I will be watching this blog to observe your process.

Blake said...

And...I'm so jealous of you! I'm back at work and reliving my amazing VSC experience over and over in my head. Enjoy your time there and I look forward to living the VSC experience through your blog!

Best!

Blake

indiaartist said...

It is so exiting, enjoy while you are there. Come back with a lot of 'learning'.

Steven LaRose said...

Two and three degrees of separation. . . very interesting. You know, its not what you know. . .

I know this, I am very jealous of what I imagine your experience is going to be like in Vermont.

For a number of reasons I am also anxious/curious to see how you approach the figure. First, because of your observation that you work more freely from photographs and second, I have my own pet theory that I've mentioned before that sometimes your barns and landscapes are anthropomorphic for me and conversely I am hoping that your figures turn into landscapes.

Also, I've a soft spot for your raw under-paintings. They show off drawing chops that are sometimes lost on the rich color schemes. . .in jpgs that is, as I've only the one painting in my kitchen that I've seen IRL.

So happy that you've met David. I can sleep comfortably now.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for the quick post. Please keep it up, as I'm sure you'll have plenty of leisure. (Kidding).

Chris Rywalt said...

Tracy sez:
...the back end was significantly lower than the front end...

Another problem of old age to add to the bifocals, I guess.

Keep us posted when you can. I'm envious, too. Away from the family! Joy!

Making A Mark said...

Look at all that ROOM! What a change from your existing studio - I think I'd find the change quite disorienting.

I'm looking foreward to seeing your first life drawings.

Have a really great time - but I'm sure you are going to have such a ball!