Monday, May 14, 2007

My Kids Are Amazing

Deep Dark Barn, 2007, Oil on Panel, 12x16

A very relaxed Mother's Day on Sunday was the perfect antidote to our schedule on Saturday, which involved the scheduling precision of a military maneuver. I won't go into the details, but I will say that it involved waking up at 5:30, driving into town five times between the two of us, play dates, two soccer games and a lot of hanging around town in order to not add yet another drive home. I did go to the opening day of the local farmer's market though and bought some beautiful herb plants to add to my garden, so that was a good score.

I don't usually go for the sappy aspects of Mother's Day and those sorts of things, but my kids are so sincere about it and that gets me in the heart every time. Yesterday they got up early and made a beautiful breakfast for me complete with a poem, a letter of appreciation for all of the laundry I do and for the things I buy that they don't really need, an egg cup with a little rooster on it (I now seem to get chicken related doo dads at every gift giving opportunity) and an old tomato can with an amazingly bad illustration of a tomato on one side and a politically incorrect image of a Native American with full headdress on the other side. We then drove up to Utica to do some summer clothes shopping and they proceeded to act like complete and total angels. No fighting, no pouting, no begging. They held the doors open, pushed the cart (I walked around like a princess) and carried the bags to the car. It was heavenly and today I am basking in the glow of how amazing my kids are.

Hmmm. Sounds a bit sappy, huh?

4 comments:

Melody said...

I think it sounds absolutely wonderful...your a lucky mommy

Making A Mark said...

Now this is only one day a year right? Or do you have an imminent book deal for a new York Times bestseller "How to raise angels"? Sounds wonderful!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Melody, I am lucky.

Katherine, I wish I could say that they are always so amazing, but I must admit that there are days when I don't know what we were thinking when we decided to have children.

Stacey Peterson said...

I'm drooling over the painting in this post - it's just beautiful!

Sounds like you have some great kids!!