Friday, September 22, 2006
Thursday was a good day. First of all I had a pretty good night's sleep, at least compared to the really bad sleep I have had over the last week or so, and I didn't as if there was sand in my eyes all day. I think the stress of this was getting to me a bit. I have been waking up at 3am each morning and then tossing and turning until my usual wake up time at 6am. Also when I am stressed I tend to clench my teeth at night and I wake up with the worst headaches. I have a mouth guard to wear and usually I only have to wear it once in awhile but I have started wearing it each night.
So anyway, I put the hangers on several completed pieces, so that I could stack them and get them out of the way. Then I started the first barn piece. I was surprisingly nervous and it took me awhile to get going. While it wasn't exactly an easy one, I did struggle a bit with it. It took me awhile to settle on the colors for the barn and at one point the sky was painted blue but I thought it made the whole piece look really ordinary. I rubbed off the blue and settled on a purplish sky. Not sensible at all but it really makes the blue-green of the barn really pop.
(This is one of our cats who likes to be involved.)
The next piece was like a puzzle. There are many more elements to this one (pictured at the top, partially painted and then finished, except for some touch up) and getting the colors to work together was a real challenge. The color of the roof was the most difficult and I tried many different shades of blue/grey, until I settled on one. The short wall in front was purple for awhile and I thought it looked too patchy so I changed it to red. I also removed the road and made the entire foreground yellow. When I changed those elements I thought the piece became rather elegant and had a nice horizontal movement.
The last piece (below) was done right at the end of the afternoon. I mixed much of the color right on the panel, mostly because my palette paper was full and I didn't feel like putting out a new piece. But I like how the foliage especially looks when I work the paint like that. I will probably work on this one a bit more today. There is some lettering I'd like to add to the sign on the front, darken the shadowed side and and I may want to soften some of the edges so that the building fits into the landscape better.
The three that I painted on Thursday were 18x24. I have two more barns, one 18x24 and one 24x36 that I plan on working on today. plus I will hopefully finish up with the others. However, it's a short day as I have to leave at 1pm for an appointment. SInce I will be working in the studio on Saturday and Sunday I think I will continue to post over the weekend as well.