Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Choosing

Horizon Lines (Twenty Two), 2009, Oil on Birch Panel, 18x24

On Monday morning, I felt pretty energetic about getting my studio cleaned up, documenting and storing returned work, looking for additional gallery representation and then getting back to work on the People You Know series. Unfortunately all that energy crashed and burned by noon on Monday. I was planning to ignore whatever post show meltdown happened to come my way this time, but maybe mind over matter doesn't apply here. I have spent most of the last few days doing computer stuff; stuff that should get done, but none of it is crucial and I really should be doing the other things on my list. And all of this coincides with an inability to get a full night's sleep lately.

I would say that I will try again today to get back to it, however my hypnotherapist suggested NOT using the word "try" because it tends to set one up for failure. She encouraged me to use the word "choose" in its place and I have been working on that little switcharoo.

So today, after I choose to have a nap even though napping during the day will mess up my sleep even more, I will then choose to finish putting the returned work into storage and will also choose to prepare to begin a few new portraits tomorrow.

But first I will try to choose to get my butt up and out of my computer chair. heh.

5 comments:

M.A.H. said...

You're going into the post show meltdown way too soon. You're on vacation this month thinking how incredible you are. Your show has sold out. You are getting rave reviews. When the show comes down, then you can go into a funk. Not a moment before.

Would I make a good hypnotherapist ? Yes, Yes I would. <3

chiki

Anonymous said...

Just think about how fun painting the people are! I can't wait to see more of them.. get cracking woman!! Or I will come over and unplug your internet connection.

Go! NOW! No choosing, just do it.

Hattermad said...

I've tried choosing...choosing to try it was very....well, a trial...

Put the brushes in some paint, spread it on a panel and let it out

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks for the pep talk, Mary. I wold like to delay my post show meltdown, but for some reason I get mine right after the opening. By the time the show comes down i am usually back to my happy perky self. Well, maybe not the perky part, I am never perky ;)

Good try at hypnotherapy though, I think you may have a knack for it.

Lauren I may take you up on unplugging my internet. I clearly do not have enough willpower to do that myself:)

Thanks Hattermad, took your advice and did get my hands in some paint the other day. Am going to keep going! Thanks!

Kim Hambric said...

I like the word "choose."

I'm going to choose it for myself & see if life gets better.

Looking forward to more people you know.