Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wildflowers


So I did okay yesterday. It took me a little longer than it should have to get down to work, but I finally did. I worked on underpaintings of flowers based on photographs of my garden flowers that I took last summer. I struggled a bit so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, although it was a good start and I am not complaining. I did more yesterday than I did all last weeks. Super proud of THAT. heh.

In late July I took some photos (see above) of a patch of beautiful wildflowers at the side of the road and they have been at the back of my mind ever since. I actually think the images are too nice to use as reference as they have their own thing going on, but I have decided to try and paint them anyway. Usually I like to work from bad photos, that way I am not so tempted to capture the photographic beauty. If the photo is bad, or at least really simple and basic I must either find my own beauty in it or make it up.

If these paintings show up here next week, that means they turned out. If you never hear about them again it means they failed miserably and will immediately go to the sand down pile. Just so you know.

5 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Not that you're feeling pessimistic or in awe of nature or anything like that? ;)

I feel exactly the same way a lot of times I sit down to do my flowers - "Why am I bothering?" is a notion which often comes to mind!

Angela Wales Rockett said...

I agree that photo references really need to be a bit imperfect or I'll be too tempted to simply copy what's there. Those are indeed lovely photos, so I can see where you might be having a problem with that.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Didn't consider being in awe of nature but I guess that is true too. Not much I can do to make flowers MORE beautiful:)

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

hope the flowers work out, because i'm sure your take on nature will be different...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Queen Anne's lace is my favorite! Hope to see future posts.