Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Pink Bee Balm, 2006, Oil on Panel, 16x20
About a month ago I was asked by the Anderson-Soule Gallery to participate in an upcoming event called Art and Bloom. The exhibit would include paintings with a flower theme and then several floral designers will come in, select a painting that inspires them and design a floral arrangement that will be displayed along with the piece for several days in the gallery. The gallery was requesting two paintings, fairly large in size.
Even though I was in the midst of preparing for the show in January, I said I would like to be included. I said yes for a couple of reasons. I thought this project sounded kind of interesting. I like to paint flowers and haven't done any for quite awhile. At least not any that haven't ended up in the sand down pile. And I have difficulty turning down a good show opportunity as I am definitely still working my way up the ladder. Turning down good offers does not seem to be a good way to do that.
Over the past year or so I have noticed that with all of the galleries I work with there is an ebb and flow. Sometimes there is a lot of activity - shows, sales, gallery events and then at other times things are pretty quiet. This has definitely been the case with Anderson-Soule. I began working with them in the spring of 2005 and nothing sold for months. I was pretty sure they would drop me. But then at the holidays, they sold all of my paintings that they had in their inventory. I gave them another batch and they have sold a few of those. Then they invited me to be in the White Mountains show, then the barn show and now this. All at the same time essentially. Coordinating this, along with the ebb and flow of the other galleries I work with has been a real balancing act this last year!
Anyway, the deadline for the flower paintings was tight - they needed jpegs by December 15th, and the paintings by January 2nd. Right away after I agreed to participate, I did the underpaintings. Then I had my little meltdown, then I worked on other paintings, then I kept looking at them and was worried about them turning out so I held off again. It had been a long time since I have done a good flower painting and I was apprehensive. But the deadline was approaching so finally last week I held my breath and jumped in. I am not sure what happened or how, but the first one (pictured above) just painted itself. One day of work and it was finished. I almost wept. The other one (pictured below) gave me more trouble. I had difficulty getting the right colors and so I wiped off a lot of paint. Doug gave me a few good suggestions and after a few more painting sessions, I was finally able to get it finished. It has a different feel than the first one (which I really like), but I am pretty happy with it as well.
Phew! Another one in the can.....
Heavy Hydrangeas, 2006, Oil on Panel, 18x24