Wednesday, December 6, 2006

42



Solid Red Barn, 2006, Oil on Panel, 18x24













On this day in 1964, the day I was born, KTVR TV channel 13 in La Grande, OR (PBS) began broadcasting.

On this day in 1969, four people died during a free concert given by the Rolling Stones at Altamont. One of the deaths was a stabbing that occurred near the stage. The three other deaths were accidental.

On this day in 1973, Gerald R. Ford was sworn in as the vice-president of the United States after vice-president Spiro Agnew resigned.

On this day in 1993, The Eagles taped a video for Travis Tritt's version of "Take It Easy" which led to their reunion (I love the Eagles).

The number one song in America the week I was born was Ringo, by Lorne Greene. Since that was a rather disappointing discovery especially since it was the year that the Beatles ruled the world, I'll add that the number one song that week after I was born was Mr. Lonely by Bobby Vinton. Not much better, unfortunately.

I share a birthday with the following people:

1421 Henry VI king of England (1422-61, 1470-71)
1843 Albert de Vriendt Flemish historical painter/etcher
1896 Ira Gershwin lyricist ('S Wonderful, I Got Rhythm)
1898 Alfred Eisenstaedt photo journalist
1904 Eve Denise Curie, French pianist/author/daughter of Madame Curie
1906 Agnes Moorehead Clinton MA, actress (Endora-Bewitched)
1913 Eleanor Holm New York NY, 100 meter backstroke swimmer (Olympics-gold-1932)
1920 Dave Brubeck, Concord California, jazz pianist/composer, Gates of Justice
1932 Don King Cleveland OH, boxing promoter (Muhammud Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Mike Tyson)
1941 Richard Speck mass murderer (killed 8 student nurses in 1966)
1948 JoBeth Williams Houston TX, actress (Kramer vs Kramer, Poltergeist)
1952 Terence Knox Richland WA, actor (Peter-St Elsewhere)
1953 Thomas Hulce, Plymouth, Michigan, actor, Amadeus, Equus, Echo Park
1955 Steven Wright droll comedian (Steven Wright Live)
1956 Peter Buck US pop guitarist (REM-Murmur)
1956 Randy Rhoads Santa Monica CA, rocker (Ozzy Osbourne-Flying High Again)
1963 Janine Turner Lincoln NE, actress (Maggie-Northern Exposure)
1971 Ryan Wayne White born with hemophilia, later to contract AIDS from blood-clotting products.
1971 Richard Krajicek Netherlands, tennis star (Wimbledon-1996)

I will spend the rest of today being pampered and catered to by my husband and children. The kids are always exceedingly happy when someone has a birthday. Mostly because of the cake, I suspect.

18 comments:

James Wolanin said...

Happy Birthday Tracy!

Shan said...

Happy Birthday.

Tracy said...

Thanks Jim and Shan!

Bob said...

Happy Birthday and save me some cake

Tracy said...

Ha! Dream on Bob! I get the leftovers tomorrow-though if I was smart I would be shipping it out to you instead...

Mom said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I LOVE YOU!!!

meno said...

Happy Birthday Tracy.

So, what kind of cake???

Lisa Call said...

Happy Birthday Tracy!

Another addictive game for your birthday:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/

Paul Butzi said...

Hope you have a happy birthday!

Tracy said...

Thanks Mom! Bet you had that record by Lorne Greene, huh? hahaha

Tracy said...

Thanks Lisa, you are just evil:-)

Thanks Paul! And thanks for visiting!

Cecily said...

Happy Birthday, darlin'! I wish I could buy you a McGlinchey's beer to celebrate.

By the way, you know you can't smoke in there anymore? Bizarre, right?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tracy!

Tracy said...

Meno, I put in a request for that grocery store style overly sweet white cake with white frosting and big flowers made of frosting. Mmmm. Don't know if that's what I'll get though!

Cecily, I can't imagine there being no smoke in McGlinchey's! And I recall that we spent more than a few of my birthdays (and everybody else's:-)) there, putting away those 25 cent beers. In fact, I remember going to the bar the night before my birthday, getting all kinds of free drinks after midnight. Then going back the next night and doing that again. What a mooch I was!

Now we are old, I will be in bed by ten and there will no alocohol...

Thanks Bart!

Susan Constanse said...

Happy Birthday!
So much living in such a short time.

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday!!! Cake, yum!

william wray said...

Wow. I did a pink barn recently, I admit I was thinking of you. ;-)

Tracy said...

Thanks, Susan, yeah, I've done some things.

Thanks Lauren!

Well, Bill, if a pink barn is what it takes to get you to think of me, I'll take it:-)