Monday, August 25, 2008

Coming Down

Morning Light on Red Barn, 2005, Oil on panel, 8x8

On Saturday, the kids and I were driving down the road to town and as we passed one of my favorite red barns, I noticed that there was some work going on. After a closer look it became obvious that the barn was carefully being taken down, probably so that the wood can be reclaimed. That part is good but I am devastated to lose another of our area's barns, one that I look at and enjoy every time that I go past it.

Of course I understand why barns come down, they become unstable, and can be VERY expensive to repair properly. Steel buildings can be built for a fraction of the cost and go up quickly and easily. Our beautiful 100 year old wood barn just sits, needing much work to make it useful again, but it will be quite some time before we can afford that. In the meantime we just hope the thing won't burn down or fall down. Anyway, this fellow did build a new barn, which is very nice even if it is lacking in character right now. I suppose it will have more as the years go by.

I have painted this barn quite a few times over the years and now it will be one of the first images I will do when (and if!) I ever get back to actually painting again. And I am going to photograph this barn as it is dismantled (maybe there is a project there?) then I will definitely take a few days to drive around central NY and take photos of more barns. I have wanted to do that for the last year or so but this event has really spurred me on to do it soon.




Route 26 Barn, 2004, Oil on panel, 6x6,

11 comments:

Melody said...

Sorry to hear about the barn being taken down...seems like there is a lot of that dismantling going on in my area as well. Love both of the paintings though.......just gorgeous!

Making A Mark said...

Sad as it is to see a barn coming down, I'm wondering whether the skeleton of it might trigger new images for you.

Unknown said...

I wish I could jump in the car with you to ride around and look for old barns.

gary rith said...

ppfffttt, out tiny little barn just got a new roof and new supports underneath and it cost every penny in my savings acct, and it still looks like a falling down shack....
btw--nice purply portrait!

Kesha Bruce said...

hey....what do you mean "When and if"?

Kim Morin Weineck said...

This was a poignant posting. Life is changing so much and it's all about cost. From the galleries closing, to unattractive barns going up, and to art being the first thing people can no longer afford to buy.

I know my husband nicely said, "hey kim, can we please buy groceries before we buy original paintings?"

He has a point but still...You have to feed the soul!

I'd be lovely to see photos from your photo safari! Get to it while the light is still beautiful. September in MA is tinged in pink at around 5pm. I wonder how it is in your neck of the woods....

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Melody, the top one is one of my favorite barns, seems like such a long time ago that I did it....

Exactly what I was thinking Katherine.

Deborah, that would be fun, but I fear you might get whiplash. I see a barn, try to decide whether I should stop or not, is there traffic, a safe place to pull over, often decide NOT to then hit the brakes anyway to stop and take a few shots. I never regret doing that, but I always regret NOT taking a picture.

Gary, even if it doesn't LOOK better it is a nice feeling to have that it probably won't fall down anytime soon though. Right?

Kesha, Oh just joking, I feel so far away from painting right now and it seems like it will be so long before I can get back to it. I will though, don't worry:)

Hi Kim, I know, I should not be buying art but I confess purchasing a few small pieces lately. Gotta feed my soul too!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

even with the whiplash it sounds like it would be a great road trip.. i'll be in VT this weekend maybe i'll spot a few new barns for ya.

Melinda said...

Just discovered your blog and am so happy to have found it. I love the barn paintings and hope that you have plenty of photos for future work. Hate to see them disappear.
You have a fantastic studio too! Oh to have more room....

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks Natayla, that would be great.

Nice to hear from you Melinda, and I enjoyed reading through your blog too. I have TONS of barn photos, enough to last anyone a lifetime. But more is always good too:)

Casey Klahn said...

Each year, the (leaning) rack of my own barn gets greater. I often think of reclaiming the wood, but my wife is aghast at the thought.

These are wonderful paintings, Tracy.