Thursday, November 19, 2009

Getting There


So I am plugging away in the studio, trying to get some paintings done for the show in January. My goal was to have all the landscapes and barns finished by the end of November so that I could spend the month of December focusing on the six portraits that will also be included in the show.

This plan is working out ok, although I do wish I were a bit farther along with the landscapes. But I have had a ton of distractions and interruptions, so all things considered, I am actually doing ok.

I am feeling a bit strapped for subject matter though, I haven't had the chance to get out to do some driving and take some new reference photos. The other day I went through the box of photos (yes, photos that were on FILM and then DEVELOPED! It's like they are antiques now!) that contained images that I took during the first year or so that we lived here. I found some images that I can use, but what really struck me is that it seemed obvious that I had never seen a tree or a field before we moved here. Heh. It seems that I took hundreds of pictures of fields with trees in the back......

I am also a bit strapped for barns as well, but that is easily handled. I haven't painted our barn for awhile and Mother Nature was kind enough to give me a very atmospheric morning in which to get some good reference photos.

Gotta love her!

The other side of the barn:

7 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I LOVE that barn, and lookit the foundation!

CMC said...

Great barn....my poor old barn is about to fall apart.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Yeah, it's a good foundation!

Cheryl, well it has 'good bones' but we'd like to turn it into a seasonal studio, and it needs a TON of work for that! Starting with plugging up all the openings to keep the birds out;)

CMC said...

I shudder to think what kind of work our barn needs. Too hot here for using it for a studio anyway unless you put up walls for some areas to cool. I just had to put in a whole new central ac/heat in my studio now.
Repair is never-ending on an old place.

SamArtDog said...

First, I love your blog with all of its honest trials and tribulations.
Second, thanks for sharing all the wall-painting. I'll refer back next time I get a wild hair about paint being the easiest/cheapest change. Btw, I think the rooms all turned out great.
Third, being a Skidmore dropout, I understand upstate NY's "old school" charm. I like your barns much better than I did school.

patty a. said...

You have a barn? How cool is that. I will think good thoughts that you can make enough money to turn the barn into a year round studio! Wouldn't it be great to have so much space? I feel the same way with my 17' x 19' studio -I could use more space! I keep all my fabrics for quilting in a seperate room because there is not enought room in the studio. I will be looking forward to the paintings that are inspired by your barn. I bet the barns in your painting won't be gray!

Jala Pfaff said...

These are awesome photos. Would you mind if I used them sometime as a basis for an attempt at semi-abstract pastels?
Your whole description and photos of the room-painting adventures were hysterical. :) Great finished job!